Halloween 2020 How to Make Pumpkin Puree
Every year, eighty p.c of the pumpkins grown within the USA are harvested in October. Commercially canned puree might be probably the most acquainted edible type of this common autumn produce, nevertheless the delicate, barely candy flesh of contemporary pumpkin makes a superb dish when baked, boiled, sauteed, steamed or microwaved. The pumpkin seeds, as nicely, could also be toasted to create a marvelously tasty and wholesome snack.
This text will talk about the method of choosing the right cooking pumpkin and the approach for getting ready home made pumpkin puree.
Choosing and Storing Contemporary Pumpkins…
The way to Put together Home made Pumpkin Puree…
The next recipe will yield a minimal of 1-3/Four cups of puree — equal to 1 (15-oz.) can of stable pack pumpkin puree. (Three kilos of contemporary pumpkin will yield about Three cups mashed cooked pumpkin.) Any leftover puree could also be frozen – see freezing directions under. Use this puree in recipes or substitute it in the identical quantity in any recipe calling for stable pack canned pumpkin.
1. Select a Three to Four pound sugar (‘pie’) pumpkin for getting ready puree. (In no way prepare dinner or eat a carved Halloween pumpkin because the minimize surfaces breed micro organism.)
2. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
3. Simply previous to baking, rinse the pumpkin below chilly water to take away any dust or particles from the skin of the pumpkin; wipe dry with a fabric or paper towel.
4. Cut up the pumpkin in half and take away the seeds and stringy fibers by scraping the insides with a steel spoon. Discard fibers and save seeds for toasting, if desired.
5. Rub the minimize surfaces of the pumpkin with canola oil and place the two halves (cut-side-down) in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water.
6. Bake in preheated oven till pumpkin flesh is tender when pierced with a knife (roughly 90 minutes).
7. Take away the pumpkin halves from the oven and place them on a reducing board or different flat floor to chill.
8. When cool sufficient to deal with, scoop the baked flesh out of every pumpkin half with a spoon.
9. Puree pumpkin in a meals processor fitted with a steel chopping blade or mash by hand.
10. Place the puree in a sieve lined with a paper-towel or espresso filter and set over a deep bowl. Let drain, stirring often till the puree is as thick as canned stable pack pumpkin, roughly 1 to 2 hours. (Essential: Don’t permit cooked pumpkin to set at room temperature longer than two hours within the course of of creating puree.)
Observe: Pumpkin may be minimize into chunks and steamed or cooked in boiling water till mushy. Take away pulp from rind then mash or run by means of a meals mill or meals processor. As a result of this method yields a extra ‘watery’ puree, you will need to drain out moisture as talked about above, or by gently warming in a heavy-bottomed saucepan to take away any extra water earlier than use.
How To Protect Pumpkin Puree…
Home made pumpkin puree freezes superbly for later use.
1. Permit ready puree to chill fully.
2. Measure puree into 1-3/Four cup parts and place in clear ridged freezer containers (leaving 1/2-inch headspace).
3. Label, date, and freeze for as much as one yr.
Cooking With Pumpkin Puree…
Not solely is pumpkin puree a superb supply of vitamin A, low in sodium and fat-free — it is usually very versatile. Whether or not utilizing home made or commercially canned puree, it’s an ingredient that could be utilized in getting ready an limitless variety of pie, cake, cookie, muffin, candy bread, pancake, creamy soup and stylish bisque recipes.
Why not strive swirling some right into a steaming bowl of cream of wheat cereal together with some maple syrup? Perhaps think about perking up unusual mashed potatoes by mashing in some pumpkin puree and bitter cream. Simply be inventive and use your creativeness – additionally take into account that most recipes that decision for winter squash or candy potatoes could also be efficiently put together by substituting pumpkin.
Copyright 2005 Janice Faulk Duplantis